Authentic Light

Authentic Light

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Run for Wayne 2016

Run for Wayne speech 2016

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank each and every person that is here today running or volunteering, for all of the sponsorships and donations, as well as those that have worked so hard to make this day possible.  Your involvement in this day, keeps my husband's legacy present and active, supports the community, as well as supporting a music scholarship in Wayne's name.

Our verse for this year’s race is from Isaiah chapter 40, verse 31: ---but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

When Wayne’s sister was sick also, as he sat by her bedside, these words came from him, when he was questioned about Hope:

Wayne said, “My hope, for my sister, is not that she will be healed. It is not that she will be pain free. It is not that she will remember me, as I sit here waiting …

My hope is that she knows Christ. That she knows that there is a room in His house, waiting for her. Where she can live forever.

And Wayne went on to say “My sister has lived with family that cares. She has 2 wonderful children, a granddaughter, and a loving husband. She will die with the same. Nothing can take that from her, not even death.

Wayne said, “Our bodies wither, and pass away. Our soul remains. Our memories...live on in others.”

And, I would say that the same is true for us today.  Death did not take away that Wayne is my best friend, or our son’s father, or your friend.  Death did not take away Hope.  The Hope that continues that one day, by the grace of God, that we too will be in one of those many rooms prepared for us.

So, my hope for you today is that as you run or walk, that it’s for a reason – perhaps it’s for health, perseverance, or in honor of Wayne’s legacy.   

The length of this race is 3.17 miles, to remember the 3 month and 17 day courageous battle that Wayne had with cancer.  The time to start is set at 12:01 to represent the verse from Hebrews chapter 12 verse 1 --- Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

You could have stayed home today, but you chose to be here.   I may be the last one to cross the finish line, but that's OK, because it's about perseverance and Hope for me.  So, whether you run fast, or you run slow, or if you walk - today that doesn’t matter - because more importantly we need to finish the race. 


I treasure your help in carrying on Wayne's legacy and for blessing my family. With much gratitude, I thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment